Thursday, November 17, 2011

What's on the Table?


This week I have another breakfast recipe. It is called Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal by GoodLife Eats. I originally came across it in my blog reading and I think we have had it almost every week now. After going through last winter with stove top oatmeal nearly every morning I about gag just at the thought of it. But we need warm hearty breakfasts during the winter and oatmeal is a good choice. So this is my compromise. Of course anything with the word "pie" in it for breakfast doesn't seem too bad.
As for modifications to the recipe I have a few. For one I don't use the individual sized ramekins that the recipe uses. Because well, I don't have them and we eat a lot of oatmeal. A lot. I quadruple the recipe for our family and it lasts two mornings. For a quadrupled recipe I use a 9x13 pan. If I remember correctly I have also x6 it and it just barely fit in a 9x13. I usually bake my quad-ed recipe for 45-50minutes total.
Instead of the brown sugar I have substituted sucanat and/or honey successfully. You can if you are in a hurry mix the topping right in but it won't have a layered look.
This doesn't make me gag at all. No sirree! :)

No comments: