Tuesday, March 03, 2009

I've been waiting for this day...

...for a year and a half. When we were courting my darling told me that when it snows down here everything shuts down and you don't have to go to work. I was hooked. Snow = a free day off. Being from the North I naively thought that it might snow perhaps every other month (calculating for the warmer climate) and my hubby would be able to stay home with me for a couple days every winter. My first winter here it snowed this much:
and he went to work. :(
My second winter here it has been warm and they have called for snow a couple of times but we never saw any. Then on Saturday by word of mouth we heard we could get 4 inches the next day. Ha!! As my Mother-in-law pointed out, "If they call for it, you won't get it". The dreary rain we had had for the last couple of days continued to fall on Sunday morning and although it was chilly my hopes weren't high. Then, (and here is where it starts to get exciting) after our afternoon worship service the kids came in with reports of sleet. Hmmm, it was getting colder..... An hour or two later when we left it was still sleeting and as we got closer to home big white flakes were falling.
We spent the rest of the afternoon tucked away in a little trailer in the woods watching the snow stick to the tree branches and grass. Covering everything in a white blanket, the snow was beautiful. Any northern state would have been proud to own this snow.
With the snow sticking, it was then that I first heard mention of my hubby staying home with me on Monday. I started to get excited. I had been waiting for one of these moments for over a year and finally it was happening.
Monday morning dawned clear and sunny. "The call" to work was made and my dearest turned off his phone. When I laid JuneBug down for his morning nap Hubby and I went outside to play and take pictures. It was a very relaxing day. We were able to get some work done and we were able to just be together.
I can't wait until it snows again!


Conley Clan said...

So happy your day finally came!! :) So....did everything shut down like they said it would? I'll have to send you some of the pics we took when we got hit with several inches back in January! We finally got Nettie-Beth some boots and she was able to enjoy it with the boys! :)
Auntie B.

WVernon said...

Everything shutdown for the morning (except a few schools were closed for about 2 1/2 days) but the roads were clear by the afternoon so they just opened later. Further up in the state they were without power for a few days while the power companies cleaned up fallen trees. The type of snow that fell acted more like ice. It was wet and heavy so it broke a lot of tree limbs off.